Thursday, July 30, 2009

Lippitt Miss Nekomia 04938

(Lippitt Moro x Nekomia), foal by Lippitt George

This mare and her descendants were the first Morgans I fell in love with and have remained my truest love in Morgans. Of my 7 Morgans now, 6 have at least 25% of their pedigree strongly Nekomia (my half Lippitt fellow has 9 crosses to her). In the late 1940's, she produced a foal every year and competed in the Vermont 100 Mile Ride, winning one year. When I first got into Morgans, an old-time breeder who specialized in her descendants told me that the reason she did so well on the Vermont Ride was that "she was too damm bull-headed to let another horse in front of her." I can believe that for the Nekomias are known to be opinionated and very free to tell the human their opinion. These are not the easiest horses and one needs a sense of humor to deal with them. They are lovely Morgans in looks and type.

2 comments:

  1. more opinionated than the average morgan? holy cow! or maybe my crew is just bratty, anyway, she is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, they could indeed be more opinionated then the average Morgan. Probably one reason there are so few of them any more.

    ReplyDelete